Wednesday 16 November 2016

Texts

The biggest geek is now eight, and we thought it was time that we stop pretending the tablet he's on 99% of the time is a "family tablet" and just buy him his own. (This means I have inherited the family one, which is great, because now I can watch Netflix in bed again. Winning!)

And then we figured that as he is sometimes home alone, it might be useful, in addition to having the option to call us (which only works one way, and is only supposed to be for emergencies or urgent things) if he could text us as well, so I installed Skype on his tablet, and set it up for instant messaging with strict instructions not to add any contacts without asking us first.

Of course, the first day of this was a constant stream of dancing turkey emoticons and apparently they have a thing called Moji which is basically a reaction gif with sound, he also had to show me every single one of those.

But, I used it usefully for the first time today. He wasn't home alone but I was at work late and I was worried that I might forget to order his next week's school lunches by Thursday, so I wrote them all out and sent them to him with instruction to pick and reply while I was at work.

He wrote back this:

Monday  spaghetti Tuesday chicken gnocchi Wednesday beef of course why lentil soup (puke) paprika the other one is also (puke) pancakes pancakes pancakes

[Moji of two minions saying "Yay!"]

(The "(puke)" is a little animated puking emoticon)

OMG. I love it. I just love it. I guess that I didn't think this would be such a big moment for me, but I have wished that I could text him since... probably when he was in the womb. I know it makes me sound like such a stereotype but I think that you get a real sense of someone with this kind of instant, text based communication. And, yeah, his punctuation needs work. But that's another reason this is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment